RE: Efficiency of xsl:number with the "value" attribute specified

> I have heard of recommendations to avoid xsl:number if
> possible, due to efficiency
> reasons.
>
> However, the processing of xsl:number falls into two separate
> distinct cases -- when
> the number is already supplied in the "value" attribute, and when not.
>
> My question is should I be concerned (so much, or at all)
> about efficiency, in case
> when I'm using the "value" attribute to specify the number.

The main cost of xsl:number is the number of nodes it has to visit. This
doesn't apply if you supply a value, and use xsl:number just for its
number-formatting behavior. However, in that case you might be better off
using the format-number() function - unless you want to do things like roman
numbering.

Mike Kay