Re: XSL and White Space help PLEASE

   On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, David Carlisle wrote:

   > > Which, alas, too many browers still in use are, following
   > > HTML2
   >
   > but if you're writing HTML then you could use the html output method
   > and most XSL engines will then output   as  .

   Ooh, that's interesting. The one I'm using (gnome's libxslt) doesn't, at
   least not the version I'm using, but it sounds like a good idea. Do you
   know which ones do this?

                version="1.0"

<xsl:output method="html" encoding="iso-8859-1"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
[&#160;]
</xsl:template >
</xsl:stylesheet>

just tried 3, xt and saxon output as an entity reference, eg:

bash$ java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet ~/nbsp.xsl ~/nbsp.xsl

[&nbsp;]
bash$

msxsl outputs it as utf8 character data (presumably because it chose not
to recognise latin-1.

Changing that to

                version="1.0"

<xsl:output method="html" encoding="us-ascii"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
[&#160;]
</xsl:template >
</xsl:stylesheet>

then msxsl outputs as &#160; (saxon outputs as &nbsp; and xt gives
UnsupportedEncodingException)

David