Re: output encoding="iso-8859-1"

> > My conclusion for now is that the safest way to do manage content
with
> > international characters is to use the character references
>
> Yes, it's safest in that by only using non-ASCII characters by
reference,
> your document is at a low level 100% ASCII and thus can be
misinterpreted
> as being in pretty much any encoding (a few obscure ones
notwithstanding).

Sadly, though, such minimalism isn't compatible with sanity if your
texts are in Japanese, or Russian or phonetic notation. Then there's no
choice but to strip your toolbox down to editors that support and
display utf-8 (emacs on an appropriate Linux installation or NT W2K;
XMLSpy, tho not on WIN9x or ME)

Where XSLT comes in is that you can detect broken browsers and use XSLT
to munge the html you send them into a (mis)representation that keeps
then happy-ish. Messy, but it works.

Michael