Re: A whitespace question, but probably not the same as the otherone s

Nice, Kerry A. (LNG-SHEP) wrote:
> Ok, I've looked through the faq and can't figure this one out.  I have some
> nodes that I handle directly, so putting normalize-space into a value-of
> fixes the problem like:
> <xsl:if test="@typestyle='un'">
>   {\ul <xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(.)"/>}
> </xsl:if>
>
> Except I have a bunch of screwy XML (I didn't design it, I just take what my
> process gets), that I had to handle with this template match="*" node that a
> helpful person on this list suggested previously.  Basically, there are
> <nl/> tags scattered randomly throughout the document.  I hope this is
> enough information.  The end product is a RTF document.
>
> The basic problem is for nodes like <p>, I can't figure out where to put a
> normalize-space, so I end up with output like:
> ... accepted
> Rice's  ...
>
> which ends up as:
> ... acceptedRice's ...
> when you look at the resulting document in Word.

You still haven't said what the problem is, or what you're really trying
to accomplish.

I suspect what you're really trying to do is replace linefeed characters
with something else? Hard to tell exactly without seeing the actual input
and the desired output.

   - Mike