> So, from
>
> <TR>
>    <TD>a &amp; b</TD>
>    <TD>c &amp; d</TD>
> </TR>
>
> I'd like to generate
>
>  a \& b & c\& d \\
>
> inside a tabular environment.

Declare <!ENTITY amp "\&#38;"> and then write

<xsl:template match="TR">
   <xsl:apply-templates/>\\
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="TD">
   <xsl:if test="count(preceding-sibling::TD)&gt;0">
      &#38;
   </xsl:if>
   <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

But you'll have to do it with a validating parser, because I
don't think a non-validating one will honour a [re]definition of
&amp; (because it's pre-declared for DTDless operations, and
only the first declaration of entities gets honoured).

> String replacement is a way to go, and
> with appropriate mappings in a repository like XSLTSL for example a good
> one. I just thought that an output method would make things a little bit
> easier.

It certainly would, pace Sebastian's comments about TeX systems
which process XML direct...I like being able to use the tree
manipulation abilities of XSLT in order to generate my LaTeX,
but I do think what Sebastian and David have done getting TeX to
read XML and XSL may be more viable in the long term.

///Peter