Re: xml->xsl->pdf

Peter Flynn wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:49:04 +0100
> From: Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie>
> Subject: Re: [xsl] xml->xsl->pdf

> Declare <!ENTITY amp "\&"> and then write

[snip]

> But you'll have to do it with a validating parser,
> because I don't think a non-validating one will honour
> a [re]definition of &amp; (because it's pre-declared
> for DTDless operations, and only the first declaration
> of entities gets honoured).

this does not work with certain parsers due to the
following clause in the xml spec:

   If the entities in question are declared, they must
   be declared as internal entities whose replacement
   text is the single character being escaped or a
   character reference to that character, as shown below.

http://www.xml.com/axml/target.html#sec-predefined-ent

in short, the parser should apparently ignore
redefinitions... but it isn't quite clear because this
'must' clause is preceded by a sentence about
interoperability.

using xerces (forget which version, sorry), redefining amp
and friends produces a warning from the parser and the
redefinition is ignored.

James