Indent extension in Saxon?

I wasn't sure if XSLT would allow an integer instead of "yes" or "no" when
specifying the indent attribute in <xsl:output>. This would be useful to us
that prefer 2 indents instead of 3 or whatever the XSLT implementor chooses.
Anyway, the spec is not this liberal:

indent = "yes" | "no"

Can't be so hard to implement, so I don't understand this limitation.
Acctually, an integer *instead* of yes|no makes more sence to me. But I
tried anyway, to see if the two major implementors have added this as an
extension. Here's what I tried:

  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="2" encoding="iso-8859-1"/>

Xalan says:

  Value for indent should equal 'yes' or 'no'

Saxon says:

  indent must be yes or no or an integer
  Transformation failed

Could it be an extension that is planned but not yet implemented?

Regards,

Gustaf Liljegren