Re: Generating embedded XSL stylesheet using XSLT

I think your stylesheet is fine, as is your generated example.
The processor handling the embedded stylesheet _should_ see the
namespace declaration at the top of the file (I claim, although handling
of embedded stylesheets is somewhat vague)

Given that you don't get any great control over how the xsl engine
outputs the namespace declarations, I don't think you have many
alternatives over the ones you mentioned (using xsl:element) or
reporting it as a bug to see if your processor can be extended to deal
with your example.

David