Parameter Sorting Problem With Xalan

Hello,
I have been banging my head against the wall trying to sort with a
parameter-based xsl stylesheet. I have tried the suggestions posted in
previous e-mails on this subject as well as in articles on the Web, but I
still can't get the sorting to work. Basically, I am trying to take an xml
file and convert it to another xml file that is sorted based on a column and
sort order that are dynamically selected by the user. I pass the parameters
for the column name and sort order in as strings to the stylesheet using the
Tarsnformer's setParameter() method. The problem is that the stylesheet
always uses the default values for the column names and the sort order,
regardless of what I pass in as a parameter. Any help would be GREATLY
appreciated.
Rechell Schwartz
Here is the code for how I set the parameters:
public void sortXSL(String sortParameter, String sortOrder) throws
TransformerException, TransformerConfigurationException,
FileNotFoundException
{
String xsl = "c:\\directoryname\\xmlStyleSheet.xsl";
Transformer transformer = tFactory.newTransformer(new StreamSource(xsl));
DOMResult domResult = new DOMResult();
transformer.setParameter("sortcolumn", sortParameter.trim().toUpperCase());
transformer.setParameter("sortorder", sortOrder);
transformer.transform(new DOMSource(document), domResult);
document = (Document)domResult.getNode();
}
Here is the xsl stylesheet:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="<http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform>"
version="1.0">
<xsl:output method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes" indent="yes"/>
<xsl:template match="xml">
<xml>
<data>
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</data>
</xml>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="data">
<xsl:param name="sortcolumn" select="'COLUMN1'"/>
<xsl:param name="sortorder" select="'ascending'"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="row">
<xsl:sort order="{$sortorder}" data-type="text"
select="*[name()=$sortcolumn]"/>
</xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="row">
<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="columntype">
<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="truncated">
<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="truncationsize">
<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>
Finally, here is the xml file that is inputted to the stylesheet:
<xml>
<data>
<row>
<COLUMN1>ABC</COLUMN1><COLUMN2>ABC2</COLUMN2>
</row>
<row>
<COLUMN1>GHI</COLUMN1><COLUMN2>GHI2</COLUMN2>
</row>
<row>
<COLUMN1>DEF</COLUMN1><COLUMN2>DEF2</COLUMN2>
</row>
<columntype><COLUMN1>string</COLUMN1><COLUMN2>string</COLUMN2>
<truncated>no</truncated>
<truncationsize>1000</truncationsize>
</data>
</xml>