Re: XSL-FO and layout problem

Which formatter are you using?  I am using Fop-0.18.1-DEV and have
encountered similar problems.  I needed to format a two-column "signature
block" area on the bottom half of the first page.  I found that the
presence of any table on the page seemed to cause a page break to occur
sooner than if there were only blocks in the flow.   I managed to get the
block to stay on page one with the formatting I needed  by not using
tables.  I defined the page as two columns and used list items for
additional formatting.  This was inspired by one of Nikolai Grigoriev's
postings (I think), either to this list or to XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com.
Here's a snippet:

      <!-- Begin 2 column area -->
      <fo:block font-size="8pt"