Re: RE: Why is my xsl:param empty? (passed with xsl_with-param) SOLVED thanks to Mike Kay

> > But how could I know that "Built-in templates don't pass
> > their parameters on to the templates they call."?
>
> I know your feeling, it's one of those features that seems designed to catch
> you out.
>
> > Why is that and is it in your book (XSLT 2nd) somewhere?
>
> I suspect the "why" is that it's an oversight by the language designers, but
> that's a guess.

I find that there's a good reason behind such a decision. If the default stylesheet
processing were to propagate the xsl:param-s, then there'd be no guarantee that only
the right template would receive the parameters rather than another template,
matching quite different type of nodes, that just happens to have parameters with
the same names...

This mechanism would be too much ambiguous, error-prone and complicated.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.