From: Dimitre Novatchev [mailto:dnovatchev@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, 17 June 2001 8:23 PM
To: kevin@synergysa.com.au
Cc: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: Re: Problem with selecting UNIQUE attribute

Kevin Read wrote:

> It seems that no matter what combination of select expressions I use on
the
> build-dirlist I am unable to select on the unique values. :-(

[snip]

not(preceding::parameter[@name
> = @name])]">
>    <xsl:sort select="@name" order="ascending" />
>     <option>
>      <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
>     </option>
>   </xsl:for-each>
> </xsl:template>

Hi Kevin,

The problem is in the following two lines of your code:
>   <xsl:for-each select="//dir[@level=$LVL and
not(preceding::parameter[@name
> = @name])]">

What you want is to get all "dir" elements on a level, such that their
"name"
attribute is not equal to the "name" attribute of any of the preceding
***dir***
elements.

This can be specified as:

//dir[@level=$LVL and not(@name = preceding::dir/@name)]

After this correction the template will be working correctly. Its code will
be:

  <xsl:for-each select="//dir[@level=$LVL and not(@name =
preceding::dir/@name)]">
   <xsl:sort select="@name" order="ascending" />
    <option>
     <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
    </option>
  </xsl:for-each>

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.
P.S. It is usually recommended to optimise expressions like "//dir" and also
to use
the Muenchian method for grouping, which uses keys and can be much more
efficient
than what you're using -- comparing every node with all preceding
identically typed
nodes -- this has complexity of O(N*N), where N is the number of all nodes
of this
same type in the xml source document.