RE: Re: Any Doc to XML converter ?

> And it --completely-- ignores something even more fundamental. Which
> is that most people using Word to create documents could care less
> about good structure, consistency, and much of the modelling that
> makes information truly reusable. If you start with trash, guess what
> you end up? So the XML from Word isn't going to get people the benefit
> they think (and that this article implies).

That may be true of most people, but I certainly know of communities, e.g.
technical authors, who are highly disciplined in their use of word, and the
goal of allowing them to continue using this tool, while capturing the
output in structured form, is certainly an attractive one.

I often use the Word -> XML route myself, generally via Word's "Save as
HTML" option, but only (so far) for adhoc exercises where a fair bit of
manual postprocessing is acceptable. Any tool that makes it easier is
welcome.

Mike Kay
Software AG