RE: Three questions on sorting..

The xsl:sort element should be empty, and should precede the <tr> element.

> 2. Can the <xsl:sort/> use a variable directly?  e.g. <xsl:sort
> select="$orderBy"><xsl:sort>  I'll try it myself when I can get the
> answer to question 1!

This is a FAQ. The value of $orderBy doesn't depend on the current node, so
you'll get the same sort key value for every node. You probably want
select="*[name()=$orderBy]".

> 3. I would like to sort by manufacturer name but it is in an external
> file.  Is there a way of ordering by the <name/> of the
> manufacture?  I
> can order by the manufacturer ID but not the external name.

You can do something like

<xsl:sort select="document('manufacturers.xml')/manufacturer[id=$id]/name"/>

Mike Kay
Software AG