RE: Re: Any Doc to XML converter ?

At Thursday, 21 June 2001, Tim Watts wrote:
[Joshua]
>> produces very clean XML for me; in what sense is it "mostly garbage"?
>> You're not thinking of the "save as HTML" or whatever that is
built-in,
>> are you?
>
>The article itself says that "The XML output by this application
>is very straightforward and very similar to the HTML output by Word
itself"

>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/odc_expwordtoxml.htm only
>describes the styles and formating, and doesn't really describe
the content.

But Word files only have styles and formatting, so that it perfectly
reasonable.
My reply to Joshua went to him only by mistake: I hadn't seen this
routine
before and I'm impressed that MS have produced it.

I get a constant stream of users wanting to turn Word into XML, who
expect
to be able to push a button and have an abritrary Word file magically
turn
into DocBook or TEI or something. With this, I can now hand them back an
XML file which represents everything that was in their Word file :-)

>A friend of mine is fond of saying "Who needs style when you've got
>substance?"
>
>It is "garbage" because it is high on style and low on substance.

You can't blame this conversion for that. GIGO.

///Peter