RE: XSLT Problem (How to compare alphabetic values)

I'm very confused by what you actually want to know here... your first
point is not grammatical, and doesn't make sense. What do you actually
mean by "how to compare alphabetic values"?

If you mean: how do I test to see if some string is not equal to another
string, then use <xsl:if> (or <xsl:when>)

<xsl:if test="$a != $b">
<!-- do something -->
</xsl:if>

That should also answer your second question:

Does XSLT have a not equal operator? Of course... try using

a != b

or

not(a = b)

Rgs,