Is this an encoding issue?

Hello,

I've run into a problem that I think might be an encoding issue, and I
was wondering if anyone could suggest a fix.

When I use Notepad to open HTML files created with instant Saxon, end of
line characters are replaced by square blocks, and the lines do not
break.
However, when I use other editors such as Visual Studio or HomeSite to
view the file, the blocks do not appear, and the lines end at the
correct places.

When perform the same transformation using XT, this problem does not
occur.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks,
Jason