Re: Document() Problem:

That's my problem. It doesnt make sense.

>> I get null + the number of elements/attributes.
>This doesn't make sense, null isn't an XSL value, what do you get?

I get null's, equivalent to the # of elements/attributes.

For example:

If my xml looks like this:

<user>
<name>joe</name>
<name>fred</name>
</user>

and I do this:
<xsl:variable name="xml" select="document('names.xml')"/>
<xsl:Value-of select="$xml"/>
I get this:

nullnullnullnullnull

If my xml looks like this:

<user>
<name>joe</name>
<name>fred</name>
<name>larry</name>
</user>

i would get this:

nullnullnullnullnullnullnull

This is in the output on the screen.

My main problem is not the syntax of what i'm doing, If I can get ANY result
no matter how useless or obscure I will be happy. As long as the result has
soemthing to do with the xml I am trying to hit.

But I cannot get into the xml. I cannot put any slashes in the xsl:variable,
or the xsl:value-of

I cant do this: Because the variable $xsl ceases to exist
<xsl:variable name="xml" select="document('names.xml')/user"/>

I cant do this because i get a java lang null pointer exception
<xsl:value-of select="$xml/name/"/>

We are using xalan, my big question is does anyone else use xalan or have
they come across this problem before?