RE: character encoding with MSXML3

Hmm, this one is an area it looks like the spec was loose:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.html#section-HTML-Output-Method says:

"The html output method may output a character using a character entity
reference, if one is defined for it in the version of HTML that the
output method is using."

It says "may" instead of "should" or "must", according to:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt, that means it is "truly optional".

Of course, that legalistic explanation doesn't help much in solving your
problem, though.  What's the scenario that makes the actual character
unacceptable and requires use of the entity from HTML DTD?  Technically,
to a browser, the é should be treated as if it is the alt-130
character anyway, right?  I'm not questioning the fact that you need
this, just wondering what the specifics are since I haven't run into
this before.

-J

(i.e.