Re: Putting parameter into XPATH expression

Hi James,

At 03:30 PM 6/25/01, you wrote:
>In the example that I posted, I had removed a lot of code to demonstrate the
>trouble I was having with those single quotes.  Because of the
>simplification it was no longer obvious to any one reading it that I have to
>control the flow of the output using logic in the stylesheet.  But do I have
>to control the flow?  Hmm.

Ah, thanks for explaining. Just being nosy (in an effort to help) -- I
suspected there was a good reason.

>Since we are now on the topic of design patterns.  Perhaps someone would
>care to comment on my approach to my problem?

Looking at your fuller explanation, I'd say as far as I can see, yours
seems like a very sensible approach. Really, in a case like this, 'pull'
vs. 'push' depends alot on the nature and structure of your input data, as
well as how it is being created and maintained (whether by you or someone
else, in one or several places, etc.). This is because the choice of pull
vs. push in the stylesheet often comes down to flexibility / extensibility
/ maintenance advantages of one or another approach, which in turn comes to
depend on the design principles and likely patterns for maintenance and
extension of the input (which, presumably, the stylesheet has to track).

We've seen some interesting threads lately, for example examining the uses
of keys with lookup tables (Dimitre), that suggest some directions to
explore in this area. A lookup table (whether keyed, or accessed by brute
force) -- or, for that matter, keys in general -- is one way to "broker"
between a push stylesheet (push tending to be more robust and maintainable
than pull) and certain occasional needs to pull.

Am I making any sense? I'd like to hear from others.

Cheers,
Wendell