How to propagate links in hierachy

Hi,

I'm developing a markup language for a corporate intranet and have a problem
which is caused by HTML, but I was wondering if any of you wizards might
have a neat solution?

Say I have this markup (actual markup is a bit more complicated)

<link to="www.otherpage.com">
		<row>
			<item>
				<image src="prettyicon.gif" />
			</item>
		</row>
		<row>
			<item>
				<text>A label</text>
			</item>
		</row>
</link>

Now when this is processed I'd like everything to become a link, but
obviously slapping <a> tags round the table doesn't work at all.

Is there any good way I can put these anchors round the <image> and <text>
nodes?  I need to <xsl:apply-templates> on what comes before them (e.g. row,
item or whatever)...

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Ta,

Nick