Dynamic XML question (cgi --> XML --> MS XSLISAPI)

I am using a home-grown cgi script that dynamically builds XML which can be
formatted to HTML using a XSL stylesheet.

In order to display the HTML in any browser, I have installed the MS
XSLISAPI filter.  This works great for static XML (XML stored as a file),
but won't work with the cgi script.  Once I set the cgi to output a
server-config;

<?xml-stylesheet server-config="styles/result_config.xml" type="text/xsl"?>

all I get in the browser is a cgi timeout (after 10 mins):

All my settings ^seem^ to be correct; they work with my static XML and the
MS examples!
The cgi works great until I introduce the  MS XSLISAPI filter stuff.

Can you help?
TIA
~Darryl Lucas