Re: Importing from database

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Gustaf Liljegren wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some data in an MS SQL Server database that I'd like to publish
> on paper using XSL, so I wonder if there are any good rules for how to
> achieve this. I know about the export XML functionality in SQL Server,
> but I figured that maybe this step isn't necessary. As the data is
> filtered through XSLT later, maybe there's a way to do the connection
> between the database and XSLT directly, perhaps with extensions?

If you have perl, you can use the module DBIx-XML_RDB to generate XML to
send through the MSSQL Server.  The XML you get from that module can then
be transformed in whatever way you like with the appropriate XSLT
stylesheets.  There is no direct MSSQL DBD module for Perl (surprise,
surprise), but I think there is a DBD-ODBC module that you can use.

If you want to publish the data on paper, write XSLT stylesheets that
generate XSL Formatting Objects and use a formatting objects processor
like the one RenderX makes or the Apache Project's FOP to convert the
XSL-FO into a PDF.

--
Rafael R. Sevilla <sevillar@team.ph.inter.net>   +63(2)   8177746 ext. 8311
Programmer, InterdotNet Philippines              +63(917) 4458925