Re: Accessing text between nodes

Michael Kay wrote:

> > My Code is like this:
> > <Node>Hello
> > <SubNode>Hello Here!</SubNode>
> > </Node>
> >
> > Now I want to access text "Hello" from <Node>.When I use <xsl:value-of
> > select="."/>
> > It gives me Hello
> > Hello Here!
> > Hello Here!
> > But I dont want "Hello Here!" text.I want "Hello" text only.
> > Can anybody please help to get this.
>
> xsl:value-of select="text()[1]"
>
> (The [1] is just for clarity, without it you would get the first text node
> anyway).

Yogesh,

As Mike Kay points out, using <xsl:value-of> returns a string representation
of the first node in the specified node set.  Specifying select="text()"
creates a node set containing all the child text nodes, but when this is
converted to a string only the first node is used (which, incidentally, may
just be whitespace between element nodes).

For the example data you give this will work fine but, just in case you have
truly mixed data and you can't predict where your text nodes will be, you
may want to concatenate all the child text nodes together.  To achieve this
you can either iterate over the child text nodes like this:-

<xsl:template match="Node">
 <xsl:for-each select="text()">
  <xsl:value-of select="."/>
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

or, more simply, copy all the child text nodes to the output destination
like so:-

<xsl:template match="Node">
 <xsl:copy-of select="text()"/>
</xsl:template>

I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

Regards
~Rob

--
Rob Lugt