Displaying document( ) output within CDATA

Greetings,

I am creating a stylesheet for tutorials. Code is
displayed as part of each tutorial page. I would like
to insert the actual code using the document()
function so I won't have to cut and paste the
examples.

I have not been able to figure out a way to include
the code that is output from the document() function
within a CDATA section.

This template accesses the code file I want to insert
as the example code. Because it is not within a CDATA
section, it is parsed and the output is shown instead
of the raw code.

<xsl:template match="preformatted">

<xsl:variable name="codeSample"
     select="document(following::link[2]/@xslInput)"/>

   <pre>
      <xsl:value-of select="$codeSample"/>
   </pre>
</xsl:template>

Any suggestions on how to insert code from an external
file into a CDATA section would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark