Re: Avoiding selection of UNREQUESTED elements?

Hi Simon,

At 10:04 AM 6/28/01, you wrote:
>Hello
>
>can anyone help me with a simple problem, i think!!

[snip]

>  The problem i have is that i cant access 1 distict record, without
>pulling out data from nodes that are NOT required. I am sure it is
>something to do with the contextual node?? however cant work it out!!!
>
>Here's the xsl file.
>
><xsl:template match="clientlog/customer">
>
>     <xsl:value-of select="@customerid[.='bloggs']"/>
>     <xsl:value-of select="//logitem/@logid"/>
>     <xsl:value-of select="logitem/date"/>
>     <xsl:value-of select="logitem/message"/>
>     <xsl:value-of select="logitem/contact/@contactname"/>
></xsl:template>
></xsl:stylesheet>

The only thing you're doing wrong is not accounting for the ordinary
operation of the built-in templates, whose job it is to make sure that
unless you say otherwise, all data will be copied into the result tree.

A simple way to fix this is by adding a template to match at the top of
your tree, selecting only the nodes you want, as in:

<xsl:template match="/"> <!-- matches the root -->
   <xsl:apply-templates select="//clientlog/customer"/>
   <!-- reaches "into" the tree and selects only the nodes you want -->
</xsl:template>

Then your other template does the rest.

At least, that's what I *think* the problem is. (I'm reading between the
lines a little. Please forgive me if it's not. If it is, you might want to
take some time to study the XSLT processing model and learn what those
built-in templates do.)

Good luck,
Wendell