Re: simple XPath question

Wendell Piez:
> But a more robust match to do what you want would be
>
> <xsl:template match="country[not(preceding::country)]" >

Mike Kay suggested something along the lines of:
<xsl:template match='item[1]/country'>

Thank you both, these XPath expressions produce the desired result.  Your
explanations (and Jeni's) were quite helpful.

The nominal purpose of this example given in Fung's book (in which it fails,
as far as I can tell) is to demonstrate template priority, and that
<xsl:template match='country[1]'> has a higher priority than <xsl:template
match='country'>.  Accordingly, the solution Thomas Passin and Jeni Tennison
posed of using <xsl:when
test='position()=1'><first-country>...</first-country></xsl:when> ... inside
a template matching 'country' is contrary to the purpose of the example,
though it is certainly a viable approach.

Chris