RE: Conditional variable assignment with node-set as value

>   I uses Saxon6.0.2 as XSLT processor.

Upgrade! The current version is 6.4.3.

>   I currently have a need to use conditional variable
> assignment with node-set as value.  I tried to use
> saxon:node-set, but still gets the error:

I suspect the error is from the way you are using this variable, not from
the way you are setting it up. Within this xsl:variable, the two calls on
saxon:node-set() seem to be unnecessary: it's never necessary to call
saxon:node-set on something that is already a node-set, which both these
expressions are.

I'm afraid I don't know quite what you mean by conditional variable
assigment. Have you considered the syntax:

<xsl:variable name="v" select="$ns1[$condition] | $ns2[not($condition)]"/>

Mike Kay
Software AG