RE: document() as extension mechanism

> i recently got some ideas for innovative uses of document() in
> conjunction with custom-written URIResolver's and XSL input sources.
> (Java only examples, sorry).

I agree, this is a useful technique, especially because the URIResolver
mechanism is supported in all JAXP 1.1 processors, while Java extension
functions are still difficult to make 100% portable between implementations.

One limitation of the approach is that the URIResolver is given very little
context information. Another is that the XSLT processor is obliged to ensure
that two calls on document() with the same URL return the same result each
time.

Mike Kay
Software AG