Dealing With Unwanted Characters

Hello all,

I am handling an XML file that has a number of '£' characters within the
text nodes. These are causing difficulties when I try to display the output
in IE 5 - a message appears telling me that these characters are invalid.
Anything I can do in my xsl to overcome this, or do I need to do something
(if so, what?) to my xml (apart from removing the '£' from the source xml,
which I have no power to do)?

Bryan