Re: Re: generating a repeatable unique id

Dimitre Novatchev writes:
 > Both of this solutions are not too efficient.
but portable!

 > There's a third one:
 >
 > Using DOM (I'm usng MSXML DOM), one can have the following Javascript code:

Yes, but the point of my exercise is to get stuff server-side, not on
the client (my users don't have an MSXML DOM to hand). If the problem
was shifted to the client, I'd ship the whole document, and not get
involved in later requests for a section.

 > So Sebastian, this is one of the most efficient ways (if in any
 > case you'll have to pass a parameter to the stylesheet) to
 > "dynamically" interprete an XPath expression, that will be known
 > only at "run time".

I like the idea, and I agree, it would the right way to proceed
client-side.

Sebastian