Re: Pure XML & Javascript on client-side

Thomas Morf wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My web pages are "pure" xml (meaning no HTML or XHTML is used) which >is
> styled on the client using CSS. To add interactivity, I use >Javascript.
> I transform a source XML file with XSLT before it's sent to the >browser.
> The problem is that, when I use <xsl:output method="text/xml">,
You probably mean <xsl:output method="xml"> ?

> Example:
>
> <input type="checkbox" name="foo" onclick="function(getAttribute('name'))">
>
> becomes
>
> <input type="checkbox" name="foo"
> onclick="function(getAttribute(&apos;name&apos;))">
Which xslt processor are you using ? This example evaluate to
<input type="checkbox" name="foo" onclick="function(getAttribute('name'))"/>
to me in msxml and saxon. XML output method must output well-formed xml
and this combination of " and ' is well-formed. I think you meant more
complex case where you have to intermingle " and ' in attribute's value,
like onclick="func('data with "bla"')", which is not well-formed xml and
  have to be escaped. Or try a better solution - move all javascript
code to one place (CDATA section) or to external js file to get free
from well-formedness constraints in javascript code.

> Similarly  <script>var varname ="name" </script> is not possible.
But why ? It's well-formed xml. The only problem will arise if you try
to use < and & in text, they must be escaped. Or use comments:

<script>
	<xsl:comment>
		<![CDATA[if  a <= "d" bla()]]>
	</xsl:comment>