Best way to have user decide sort

This is fairly easy to do in DOM, but what is the best way to accomplish a
dynamic sort in SAX? Here's what I want. When the user first comes to this
page, it is blank except for a "Choose a letter A B C D..." at the top.
There will also be an option for output via PDF (another page) and to list
all categories. The user would click on a letter, example "A" and all
categories starting with that letter will appear.

I'd prefer to have this to use two XSLs (one for PDF and one for HTML
output)  but the more I play around I see that I may need 28 XSLs. I have
yet been able to pass a parameter from one XSL to another. Is there anyother
way out, or would having one web page for the "choose one" and one for the
output be the best, even though the user can change his/her mind. (Select
"A" and then choose to select "G".)

I did enter the example in
"http://www.topxml.com/snippetcentral/main.asp?view=viewsnippet&lang=&id=v20
010425122434" except that it is based on a run-time decision. And although
is requires a parameter be passed from one web page to the XSL, it doesn't
tell how to do so. Unfortunately, the page it refers to uses ASP to pass a
parameter, which I am not using.

In DOM, I would create a Javascript code to handle the processing, but my
impression of SAX is that I should get away from that. (I am using Cocoon2).

XSL:
<xsl:template match="glossary">
	Choose a letter
		</thead>
	<xsl:apply-templates name="//category">
	   <xsl:sort select="*[name(.) = $sortfield]"/>
   </xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="//category">
	<xsl:value-of select="$sortfield"/>
	<xsl:for-each select="//glossaryitem[count(. |
key('sort-by-category', category)[1]) = 1]">
		<xsl:for-each select="category">
			<xsl:sort select="." />
				<xsl:if
test="starts-with(category,$sortfield)">
				<H2>
					<xsl:value-of select="." />
				</H2>
				<xsl:value-of select="english_title"/>
			</xsl:if>
		</xsl:for-each>
	</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="text()">
</xsl:template>

***

XML File:
<glossary>
<glossaryitem>
	<category>Things</category>
	<english_title>Computer</english_title>
</glossaryitem>
<glossaryitem>
	<category>Things</category>
	<category>Animal</category>
	<english_title>Mouse</english_title>
</glossaryitem>
<glossaryitem>
	<category>People</category>
	<english_title>Doug Hewko</english_title>
</glossaryitem>