generate-ID and xsl:number help needed pls

I'm using XML data islands to pull back a load of
data.
It basically has a number of facility types, and for
each one it can have a number of facilities.

i need to be able to uniquely identify a couple of the
fields to pass to a javascript function.  I have tried
generate-id() and xsl:number to no avail, but i'm sure
there must be a way of using one of them.

I currently have the hideous work around below using
previous sibling

<input type="hidden" datafld="Facility_Name" >
  <xsl:attribute name="name">
    facname!!!!NEED SOMETHING HERE TO UNIQUELY
IDENTIFY"
  </xsl:attribute>
</input>

<input type="hidden" datafld="Facility_ID">
    facID!!!!NEED SOMETHING HERE TO UNIQUELY IDENTIFY"
</input>

<a style="COLOR:#006699;FONT-WEIGHT:bold;
FONT-SIZE:8pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma">
  <xsl:attribute name="onClick">
    showDetails(eval("Data" +
!!!Hideous workaround!!!
this.previousSibling.value),this.previousSibling.previousSibling.value)
  </xsl:attribute>

all help is greatly appreciated