RE: A Counter Variable in XSLT?

Thanks folks for your replies.

> But you need
> to say what it is
> you want to do before anyone can show the xslt equivalent)

What I want to do:

My stylesheet consists of one template rule.  When there is a
match, I want a line in the output  to say, for example, "Match #
123:", followed by relevant text.  Since I don't know ahead of
time how many matches there will be in the source document,
somehow the stylesheet needs to keep a count.  Something like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  <xsl:output method="text"/>
  <xsl:template match="/*">
	<xsl:if test="@col">
      Match # n : <!-- n is the nth match, the thing that needs to
be incremented -->
      Collection: "<xsl:value-of select="@col"/>"
      Content: <xsl:value-of select="."/>
      </xsl:if>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

> You need to unlearn procedural programming! XSLT is a
> declarative,
> functional language.

I am willing!  Just what is meant by "declarative, functional"?

>3. If neither of options 1 or 2 is suitable, you can probably
count what you
>want by using a recursive named template.

Just what is a "recursive named template"?

Thank you for your input,

Grant Mc Auley