Re: best way to generate form from xml+schema?

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 11:35:50AM +0100, Graham Seaman wrote:
> > XML/XSL processor I've tried), and I believe libxml is slightly less
> > strict than Xalan (for example, I've found differences over acceptance of
> > multiple charsets in a single xml file: libxml accepts and processes this,
> > xalan doesn't).
>
>   Send me the example. Note that libxml2 (used for libxslt) enforces
> that (with one exception where an error is raised anyway) while
> the older version gnome-xml was completely broken.
>
> Daniel

Thanks to the several people who replied to this - I'm combining replies
here.

1. As I now understand it, my xml is just broken: I had misread the spec
and thought that I should be able to have multiple charsets in one
document (in this case, ASCII-US, KOI8-R, EUC-JP). Now I understand that I
shouldn't do this; I should have separate files for each charset and
include them from a master document.

2. Xalan (I now understand, correctly) rejects the xml file with this mix.

3. For Daniel: you can see libxml processing multiple charset data from a
single xml file on http://opencollector.colondot.net/ (the Russian,
English, and Japanese versions all come from one xml file).

The xml is at:
http://colon.colondot.net/ucgi/~grahams/cvsweb.cgi/opencollector/data/test.xml
The xsl is at:
http://colon.colondot.net/ucgi/~grahams/cvsweb.cgi/opencollector/xsl/general.xsl
There are a LOT of other things wrong with these; this was my first
attempt - please don't bother trying to correct all the numerous other
errors (eg. incorrect use of namespaces). The current version is greatly
changed, but I don't have access to it from where i'm mailing from now.
There's a general explanation at http://colondot.net/~grahams/

4. I haven't tried using Python, though I'm tempted (also by Ruby) - one
new language (XSLT) at a time seemed enough to take on.. I might do yet.

5. If anyone has experience with using multiple languages/charsets on a
site, I'd love to talk to them (maybe off this mailing-list - I think it's
more an xml/html/browser topic than an xsl one).

Thanks to everyone for their replies
Graham