Re: Conversion from xsl to xsl:fo

You wrote:

> Is there any tool that can simplify the conversion of an XSL meant to
> output html, to a PDF outputting xsl:fo that would closely duplicate
> the look and feel of the html output of the original xsl?

Some time ago I started writing a stylesheet [1] that will transform
an XHTML document to XSL-FO for the HTML working group.  It is largely
incomplete but could serve as a basis for your work.

It supports the default rendering of XHTML, as defined by Steven
Pemberton's CSS stylesheet for XHTML, but does not do CSS at all.

I thought of writing a stylesheet that will convert an XSLT stylesheet
that produces an XHTML document to an XSLT stylesheet that produces FO
(i.e. an XSL stylesheet) but I found it hard or not really possible to
do. I don't remember why.

Let me know if this helps. And I'm interested to know if you correct
it or make it better.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/08/01-XHTML-XSL/html.xsl

Sample XHTML document: http://www.w3.org/2001/08/01-XHTML-XSL/xhtml11.html
Result PDF: http://www.w3.org/2001/08/01-XHTML-XSL/xhtml11.pdf