RE: static vars or how to write dirty tags

>     <xsl:if test="count(following-sibling::column) = 0">
>     </xsl:if>
>
> Sometimes I think xml could be more flexible ... the output would be
> clean html ... :-)

It's not so much that XML doesn't allow this, it's that you've misunderstood
the XSLT processing model, which is based on the idea of nodes in trees.

A tr node in the stylesheet, when processed, causes a tr node to be added to
the result tree. You add nodes to the result tree, not tags, so you can't
add start tags and end tags as independent operations.

Rethink your problem. What part of the input do you want to process in order
to produce a tr node in the output? Write a template rule to grab this
amount of input, and process it as a unit.

Mike Kay