global vars from document contents

I'm pretty sure this falls into the category of requirements as opposed to
something that is possible with XSLT as it sits today, but here goes...

I'd like to set some global variables for an XSLT based on the contents of a
separate XML document.  Obviously, I can reparse the document every time I
need the variables, but in this particular case I'm likely to need the
variables many times (where "many" is in the order of 10's not 100's) and
I'd like to avoid reparsing the document each time.  Is there any way of
doing this short of wiring the processing of the XML file and the set up of
the variables into the application that calls the transformer?

IE; would it not make sense to allow global vars to be defined by overriding
the root processor in addition to the top level definition of the stylesheet
itself?

Peter Hunsberger