Re: Netscape changes font-size in table

[McKeever, Marty]

> the combination of netscape, table cells, and CSS has always been a pain
> deal with.  here are my two suggestions, certainly one of them will work
for
> you.
>
> First, when using a class selector such as:
> you will want to be very (very!) redundant with the definition:
> .mystyle {font-size:11px}
> TD.mystyle {font-size:11px}
> TR TD.mystyle {font-size:11px}
> TABLE TR TD.mystyle {font-size:11px}
> DIV TABLE TR TD.mystyle {font-size:11px}
> this has always worked for me in NS4, once i found the right combinations.
>
> Second, since netscape has so much trouble with TD's, you could do almost
> exactly what you originally planned by using the SPAN element:
> <TD><span style="font-size:11px">foo</span></TD>
> changing your original template to output this format would be very simple
> -- and should work fine for what you need to do.  Just dont try to use
> background-color here.

This looks like very good advice.  Also, I have read (but not verified) that
Netscape version 4 variants do not like spaces between the parts of a style
declaration - they sometimes cause odd behavior or cause parts of the style
specification to be ignored.  I think this may apply to space before or
after colons and semi-colons.  I try to remember to eliminate all such
whitespace just in case.

Netscape 4 variants also don't necessarily apply a body style (i.e.,
".mystyle") to a table cell ("td.mystyle").  This quirk ("feature"?) is
reflected in Marty's example, above.

Cheers,

Tom P