From: owner-xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com]On Behalf Of Greg Martel
Sent: 28 November 2001 15:19
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: Re: [xsl] orphans and widows??

In publishing, "orphans" and "widows" are terms used almost
interchangeably both referring to runover lines of text. If a
paragraph has 5 full lines of text and one word on the sixth line,
that last word is referred to as an "orphan." A paragraph which
starts on one page where the last line of the paragraph starts at the
top of the next page is also called an "orphan." Finally, a "widow"
is a paragraph which starts at the bottom of a page where only the
first line fits on the bottom of the page and the rest is continued
on the next page. Because the terms are often used interchangeably,
your friend is telling you to "make orphans" by increasing the
tracking--space between characters--of your text in order to create
more runover lines or by rebreaking lines manually.

If you are trying to do this automatically in order to preserve
SPECIFIC page breaks then your friend's suggestion is probably a poor
one. You would have to go paragraph by paragraph to adjust each one
accordingly. If you are using a typesetting software of some kind, so
you should probably find out:

a) If there is any way to find or create a page break code in your XML
b) What the code is for a page break in your typesetting software and
have XSL replace the old code (assuming you are able to add it) with
the new code.

hope that helps a little.

>I am doing some work in FO and it has been suggested that in order to force
>data from one page to another I can use orphans and widows.
>
>I have no idea what they are, can anyone advise a site in which orphans and
>widows are explained and examples given?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Tanz

Thanks Muchos,

Greg Martel