Alternatives to apply-imports which allow params

I'm looking for any alternatives to the <xsl:apply-imports> instruction in
XSLT 1.0 which would allow for the passing of parameters to any of the
imported templates which are invoked.

The XSLT 1.1 candidate recommendation appears to allow nested
<xsl:with-param> elements but I don't think my XSLT processor (Apache Xalan)
supports 1.1.

Is there any other way in XSLT 1.0 to acheive this "cascading"
inheritance-like behaviour where the importing stylesheet can trigger the
execution of the matching imported templates, with parameters, without
invoking them directly using <xsl:call-template>?

Also, is there a release of Xalan-Java which supports XSLT 1.1? The Xalan
website doesn't seem to make any mention of it.

Any help on this is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sasha Haghani
Toronto, Canada