whitespaces

Here is my problem:

SO: W98

I'm calling to a javascript function with a parameter in an HTML's HREF.
This parameter is the value of a node an I call the function this way:

of course, the href is inside a template that match the node. This
javascript function just marks all  the values from the node ( the href is
between <xsl:for-each..>) as a link.The problem is that these values of the
node has whitespaces.
So when I choose one of these values that has whitespaces the navigator
substitute the whitespace for a %20, but only when I'm using Netscape
navigator, Internet explorer do it well.
I want the whitespaces be preserved.How can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english, I'm from spain and I don't speak(
and write) it correctly.