Re:   is being displayed as Á

Theo wrote:

>Ok then, since I *have* consulted the FAQ (and seem to be missing this).
>Could somebody explain to my WHY '&' translates to '&' but ' '
>doesn't change at all?

'&' should end up as '&' except in specific circumstances
listed in 16.2 of the XSLT spec - for example, inside a <script>
element (assuming you are using output method html).  Are you really
telling us that '&amp;&amp;nbsp;' ends up as '&&amp;nbsp' ??

>And, how would you suggest someone actually get '&nbsp;' into the output in
>order to avoid  the issue which started this thread in the first place?
>(browsers assuming a different encoding type than is sent, and therefore
>mistranslating character 160 as 'A' instead of ' '?  I have yet to see a
>browser which misunderstands '&nbsp;'.

Persevere.  The problem is, if &#160; is going wrong because of
mis-interpreting the character encoding, then other characters will go
wrong too: accented characters for example.  Generating &nbsp; doesn't
fix the problem.

>For the record, the FAQ does not seem to contain an explanation of why this
>doesn't work.  All I can find is the solution of using '&#160;' instead.  A
>search of the archives for 'nbsp;' turnes up ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!  As for
>the XSLT spec, I've tried reading it.

On searching the archives: try 'nbsp' and check the 'partial match'
box.  By default the search is for whole words.

>Also for the record, it took three responses to this error on my part for
>someone to bother to: a) be civil, and/or b) explain WHY the output one
>would expect isn't what you *actually* get.  Thank you, Michael Kay.
>
>David Carlisle, if there are as you said, "...an average of 1001 posting a
>week for explanations of why this is the case." please let me know what to
>search for in the archive to find ONE of them.  Until then get of your
>high-horse.

The answers you get from this list are free.  We all try to be patient
and accurate in our answers, but now you know how to search the
archive you will see that the &nbsp; issue is a bit over-worked.
That's not your fault (or ours) - it has a lot to do with browsers not
properly implementing standards.

Regards,
Trevor Nash
--
Traditional training & distance learning,
Consultancy by email

Melvaig Software Engineering Limited
voice:     +44 (0) 1445 771 271
email:     tcn@melvaig.co.uk