Filling a table cell with a dotted line of varying length

Hello all,
First off, I'd like to say that this list is so good that in most cases if I
want to figure out how to do something I only have to search the e-mail
folder I save the messages in and, wham!, I have a solution (or a least a
partial one) and I usually just collect the messages and lurk (sounds kind
of selfish when I write it out like this, however time accountability at
work prevents me from participating here as often as I'd like or at all).
Those of you who answer most of the questions exhibit true altruism (at
least, it seems that way from my perspective).  Just think, if governments
could help each other the same way how much nicer a planet this would be.

Anyhow, my own question:
1) A table with two cells on each row
2) The left cell contains text aligned to start with varying number of
characters, hence leaving a variable empty space to the right of the text.
3) How can I fill the space with .... (dotted line) while at the same time
not exceeding the cell width/boundary?  This is important since it will be
rendered to pdf with FOP (which usually complains if cell boundaries are
exceeded).

I vaguely recall this being discussed at some time in the past, maybe here
or in the FOP list, but I have no idea what I'd be searching the archive for
in this case, so I figured I ask again and maybe someone could give some
example code or point to the thread if there was one.

heap big thanks in advance,

   Matthew L. Avizinis <mailto:mla@gleim.com>
Gleim Publications, Inc.
   4201 NW 95th Blvd.