output of message

While using <message> to debug my transformation, it occurred to me
that it would be helpful if message took and respected some of the
same attributes as <output> did.

I'm using <message> to display a result tree fragment, e.g.

  <xsl:message>
    <xsl:copy-of select="$foo"/>
  </xsl:message>

Unfortunately the output (the processor is Saxon 6.5) is hard to read
because no additional whitespace is added.  I'd like to see one member
(child of the root) of the result tree fragment per line.

I thought that if <message> accepted the "indent" attribute and treated
it in the same way as <output> does, then I wouldn't have to run an
emacs macro each time I wanted to read the message output.

I checked the draft XSLT 2.0 spec and it doesn't provide such a
feature.