Re: Re: Assignment no, dynamic scoping si (was: Re: RE: Wishes for XSL revisions ...

How long is our memory half-time in this discussion?

>>Now assume you figure out deep down in a special case
>>that you nee d to add one more parameter (e.g., text color).

> This is accomplished very simply by passing just ***one*** parameter, which is a
> nodeset with some definite structure The nodes/subtrees of this nodeset represent
> your (multitude of) parameters. To add a new (text-colour in your example)
> parameter, simply add a new node in an appropriate place within the node-set.

I know that and we have talked about that (so why did I
not mention it? :-) The problem however is still the same.
You have to make sure that every template that is called
passes these parameters or just this one parameter on. If
one of them doesn't, you're hosed. So, the templates you
reuse from other people need to be changed.

The other issue is: this environment as a node set is a
second-class object that is more conveniently and expediently
done internally.

>>This is a HUGE impact of a minor change. Put this into
>>a distributed template development environment and library
>>which you can't all change and where others who do not
>>care about text color will concurrently maintain. It
>>becomes impossible.

> The arguments above prove that your reasoning was not correct.

The issue about the reuse and combination of other
templates is still true. And you still haven't answered
my other questions. Not that you have to, but how come
you seem to be <snip>ping out those things in my mail
that are less easy to answer than with a lapidar "this
proves that your reasoning is not correct."

regards,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine