RE: Where is the benefit ? (Was : RE: The hard cocktail of sequence and (node-)set ..)

> > Anyone care to try and pinpoint what is going to make
> > XPath2.0 better rather than just different?
> >
> To add to the points made by Jeni, I think that the availability of
> sequences-of-strings and sequences-of-numbers is going to give substantial
> benefits when writing the more complex stylesheets: they are much more
> flexible and efficient than using trees as the only data structuring
> mechanism for working data.

Thanks for your thoughts, Jeni & Mike. I was also kind of curious why
sequences are not allowed to contain other sequences? If a mixed data type
sequence is more flexible than a Nodeset then it would suggest a sequence
that can contain sequences would be more so. I think there is some evidence
as to how useful that might be in languages like Prolog. Although, to really
exploit it you might also need to be able to pattern match against a
sequence, fairly scary?

Thanks,
Kev.