the problem with include and import

It occurred to me, while I was considering the issues relating to stylesheet
library modularity with respect to dynamic scoping, that global parameters
and variables already present a problem (if I'm not mistaken).  In my
opinion, they ought to have been scoped to the file in which they're
specified.  Then, they should get passed to included or imported stylesheets
explicitly, via a with-param element, inside of the respective include or
import element.  Or, perhaps, by dynamic scoping.

I'm concerned that (assuming I'm not mistaken), if these issues aren't
addressed, it may be very difficult for stylesheet libraries of any
significant complexity to be developed and used, successfully.

Furthermore, this would also provide more static optimization opportunities
to XSLT processors supporting some sort of evaluate() function which
supports variable references.

Matthew Gruenke