Re: Assignment no, dynamic scoping si

I've not caught up with all of my holiday email (still working around
some computer trouble) yet so I don't know if these points have
already been made, but they seem novel enough so here goes ...

Assuming the use of the XSLT "push" model, the dynamic state of the
processing is dictated by the static content of the input document.
Since the language makes no promises about the order in which sibling
(co-selected) nodes are processed, to achieve consistent results,
dynamic state could only be communicated downward, not across
could be communicated through dynamic scoping could also be extracted
via the ancestor axis.  Dynamic scoping would thus only provide a
benefit if there was some complicated, expensive or redundant
calculation to be economised on either in execution time, clarity or
code space.

Rather than dynamic scoping, One could instead imagine a mechanism
that would allow one to look at the ancestors of the already computed
higher up levels of the result tree to achieve a similar affect.  One
would want a means to supress serialization of such data that was only
used for further computation and was not required in the output.